Monday, December 7, 2009

What's your special?

Everyone has those special recipes around the holidays. You know, the ones that someone in the family says, "Let's have so&so make her...." Those recipes!

I am know for two holiday favorites. One is my pumpkin rolls. They are very easy to make and always a big hit at parties!

Recipe:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2/3 cup solid pack pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • confectioners' sugar for dusting

Filling:

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place wax paper on a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for five minutes. Gradually mix in pumpkin. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched. Loosen edges with a knife. Turn out on a dishtowel that have been dusted with confectioners' sugar. Roll up cake using towel, and let cool for about 20 minutes.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Unroll pumpkin cake when cool, spread with filling, and roll up. Place pumpkin roll on a long sheet of waxed paper, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Wrap cake in waxed paper, and twist ends of waxed paper like a candy wrapper. Refrigerate overnight. Serve chilled; before slicing, dust with additional confectioners' sugar.


My second most requested recipe is Spritz cookies. They are a holiday favorite with tons of different ways to decorate... trees, flowers, wreaths

The recipe:

  • 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
  • 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Food coloring
    1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Tint with food coloring if desired.
    2. Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Top with colored sugar and decorating candies if desired. Bake at 375 degrees F for 6-8 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.


  • So those are my two... What's yours? I'm always looking for a good recipe. Leave a quick recipe or link so I can get a list of awesome holiday treats!

7 comments:

  1. Two of my favorites!! I love making spritz cookies at Christmas time. And my husband always requests a pumpkin role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pumpkin roll looks sooooooooooo good!!! :) Thanks for participating in Creating Christmas today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin roll! such a pretty picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves a good pumpkin roll! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Patty, who moved from Memphis to Arizona when I moved back to Alabama, used to make the Pumpkin roll and invite me over.
    I've always wanted to make the Spritz Cookies so I've copied down your recipe.
    I have a very good Fruitcake Recipe that my Dad always requested and I tried to make it between Thanksgiving and Christmas for him. I use only candied cherries, dates, raisins and lots of nuts.
    I don't make it every year. It is very expensive but makes great gifts for those who like fruitcake. My sister asked me yesterday if I was making it. I am making Fruit Cake cookies instead.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a pumpkin roll every year for Thanksgiving! It is requested every year1 Mine has ice cream in it though. It is so light and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete